This post is part of a new series, The Friday Five, where we’ll ask a prominent person in the business world to tell us their 5 favorite things each week.
The Friday Five with Ivan Widjaya of SMBCEO
This week, we caught up with Ivan Widjaya of SMBCEO.com. Ivan is a long-time entrepreneur in the digital media and publisher space. He loves digging deeper into small business with insightful articles, interviews, and tips for small business owners.
We’ve been privileged to contribute articles to SMBCEO.com in the past- check out this piece about when outsourcing goes wrong.
From his author page on Small Business Trends: “Ivan Widjaya is the Founder and CEO of online marketing agency Previso Media and several small business online blogs/magazines, such as SMBCEO.com, Noobpreneur.com, and Biz Penguin. He is a web publisher, web property investor, blogger and web property builder.”
Ivan shared with us 5 things he loves for this week’s Friday Five. These are a few of his favorite things:
1. I love basketball and have been a fan of the NBA’s Orlando Magic since the mid 90’s.
Ivan loves the Orlando Magic, and while we aren’t too familiar with the team, we can already see why he loves them.
This little guy is Stuff the Magic Dragon, Orlando Magic’s beloved mascot. We think we might become fans, too!
2. I love working at home – or anywhere I want, practically. I just need a reliable laptop and internet connection.
*Note from our Marketing Director: I work full-time remotely and I can attest to Ivan’s love for the arrangement. For people that don’t mind managing themselves and their time closely, working from home is an amazing privilege. It also comes with some very unique and distinct struggles – if you work from home, you’ll be able to relate to these 10 struggles. – Debra
3. I love playing games (mobile, console, PC – anything!) and I’m a big believer that games can teach you a lot about yourself and business. I think Pokemon Go is just a fad (sorry, Pokemon fans!)
Ivan’s definitely young at heart. He loves playing games – why not email him and invite him to a virtual game of chess? He believes the strategic nature of some games makes them excellent teachers if we’ll just pay attention.
And as for Pokemon Go – it’s yet to be revealed if it’s a fad or instant classic. What do you think the future of the game is?
4. I enjoy learning from well-known entrepreneurs and leaders like Richard Branson, Gary Vaynerchuk, Mike Maloney and Brendon Burchard.
Who’s better to learn from than The Greats? Ivan knows that when you focus your attention on big things, you are inspired to make big things happen in your own life.
5. I love building my business around my life, not the other way around. That said, I decided that ‘retirement’ is not in my vocabulary. I want to keep working and making impacts on small business for a lifetime.
Amen to that, Ivan! Business is for profit, life is for living. If you can manage to marry the two, you’re doing better than most. He knows that when you enjoy your work, it doesn’t seem so much like work. We all aspire to be as content in our work as Ivan!
Do you feel like you know Ivan a bit better now? We sure do. We are absolutely loving this series – it’s amazing to get a little peek into the minds and hearts of influencers and experts in the small business sector.
What do you love? If you’d like to be included in a future Friday Five post, please contact Debra at firstname.lastname@example.org with your information.