Halloween is becoming a lucrative industry, with more than $6.9 billion in sales in 2015 and a projected $7.2 billion in sales this year. A total of more than 157 million Americans celebrated Halloween last year, buying candy, costumes, decorations, and Halloween party supplies to reach the record-breaking $6.9 billion total.
“The average American consumer celebrating planned to spend $74 on decorations, candy, costumes and more in 2015, up from the $66.28 spent on costumes, candy and decorations in 2010.” –National Retail Federation, 2016
We found so many interesting statistics about the Halloween industry that we decided to create an infographic to compile it all in an easy-to-read way. Check out the infographic below. We’ll include all the statistics from the infographic at the bottom of this post as well.
The Halloween Industry: $6.9 Billion and Growing [Infographic]
Halloween industry statistics
- Pet owners planned to spend $59 on their pet for Halloween
- Americans spent $6.9 billion on Halloween in 2015
- 157 million Americans celebrated Halloween last year
- People spend an average of $74 on candy, costumes, and decorations, up from $66
- 52% of people threw or attended a Halloween party
- 70% handed out candy instead of going trick or treating
- 47% carved at least one pumpkin
- 36% visited a haunted house, corn maze, or pumpkin patch
- 27.5% took children trick-or-treating around the neighborhood
- 44.8% decorated their home or yard before Halloween
Statistics on Halloween came from this website.