Finding and recognizing the many opportunities you have to connect with your customers is very important. A missed opportunity could send them to your competition. When you connect with them, you may end up with more business from their friends and family. Here are a few great opportunities to connect with your customers:
If you root for the same football team or have something else in common, this can be something you can bond over. Finding something in common isn’t something you should force, but when it happens, you should take advantage. Things as simple as sending a link to an article about the team you both root for or sharing a recipe with your favorite ingredient can help you connect better with your clients.
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Special days need to be recognized. Even your clients want to be wished a happy birthday or anniversary. If you know when your client’s birthday or anniversary is, send a card or a little gift and brighten their day. This can go a very long way to developing a lasting relationship.
Awards and Achievements
If you notice one of your clients has been mentioned for something they have accomplished, make sure to recognize them. Whether you mention it during a phone conversation or you send a gift, make sure you show your appreciation for their achievements.
A shout out on Facebook may seem like a good way to go about recognizing them, but it’s the lazy way. Instead, send them a card or call them up and congratulate them for their achievement.
When you remember the names of the children, spouses and other important people in your client’s life, they will know you care. You don’t want to forget these names because they may come up in conversation later on.
Get Well Wishes
If you ever try to call your client, only to find out they are out sick, make sure to send over a get well card or something wishing them well. This is a great way to forge a caring relationship and really connect with your client. They will see it as thoughtful and they will know you really do care about them.
House Warming or Office Warming
When clients have a big move into a new home or office, you should send a plant or a gift basket. This is a great way to connect with them and show your appreciation.
Since babies being born are one of the biggest moments in anybody’s life, its a good idea to send a card or gift when this happens in one of your client’s lives.
Tips for the Connection
Not only is it important to recognize the opportunities to connect, its also important to understand how to connect with them properly. Here are a few tips.
- Don’t Make it your Assistant’s job – A gift or card your assistant sends won’t have the same impact as a gift or card you send.
- Hand write the card – Whenever possible, hand write a message on the card. This will go a lot further than a typed message or one written by the flower company.
- Call instead of Text – When it’s something big, call the client instead of texting.
- Avoid Social Media Shout Outs – It’s okay to like a status and even comment, but take it a step further and make the phone call. It’s much more personal than a shout out on Facebook.
- Anything Personal is Better – If the message is personal and you are sincere, it will connect much better with your client.
- Take Time For Them – Sometimes, we feel obligated to recognize somebody and we treat it like an inconvenience. Don’t let this happen. Instead, take the time to care for your clients when the opportunity presents itself.
Use these tips and make sure you take the time to recognize the opportunities to connect with your clients. This can help forge a long-lasting relationship with them. When we take the time to appreciate our customers, we have a much better chance to build our business and turn customers into lifelong clients and friends.